CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

22nd January 2022, 01:14
This week's puzzle is by Vlad and for a long while I wondered if I'd ever get a single answer, never mind finish!

I found this very difficult, at least to begin with, but then, as is so often the case, once I got going things started to fall nicely into place.

My FOI was 13d followed by 16d.

If you do get stuck there is at least one long anagram in both the acrosses and downs.

I didn't notice any theme (but then I never do!) however, I think there are a few Americanisms that will please Geeker and his fellow compatriots:-)

COD - A clear winner for me this week with the eerily portentous 11a - Stay here and be late, most unexpectedly (5,5) 😲

I haven't fully parsed 22d and 24a and in 17a I'm not sure how the T is arrived at as I can't find any justification for it in Chambers.

Thanks to Vlad for a puzzle that is a real challenge with lots of wit and humour - or should that be humor πŸ˜‚

Please feel free to leave a comment - it's been great to see so many new posters lately and to welcome back some regulars from the past and, as always, if you get stuck - don't hesitate to ask for a hint, we're a friendly bunch and there will always be people willing to help:-)

Stay safe:-)
1 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd January 2022, 01:28
24a - Just figured out the parsing and it's brilliant - so much so, in fact, that I'm making a joint COD:-)
2 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd January 2022, 01:31
... and just seen the wordplay in 22d - another cracker - West indeed πŸ˜‚
3 of 88  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd January 2022, 02:00
Hi Brendan,
I'm not finished, finding it extremely tough.
Vlad is the Guardian setter I most struggle with (apart from Enigmatist and Maskarade, who aren't really to my taste and I often avoid).
Definitely some brilliant clues.
Missing 5, 17, 18 and 24 right now. Prefer no hints, need more time to ponder. Have several guesses for 24 but no clear leader.
4 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd January 2022, 02:06
Hi Geeker,

Vlad has composed this puzzle so that it ultimately rewards perseverance. There are so many great little touches the solver will appreciate upon finishing. Good luck πŸ‘
5 of 88  -   Report This Post

mattrom

22nd January 2022, 02:07
Hi Brendan and Geeker,
Vlad was known as "The Impaler". I found the SE corner tricky, had to use Bradford's to guess 22d.
I think proper nouns make life difficult at times for solvers.
I agree about the T in 17d. not being a recognised abbreviation.
6 of 88  -   Report This Post

mattrom

22nd January 2022, 02:11
^ 17a, of course ...
7 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd January 2022, 02:13
Hi Mattrom,

Same here with the SE corner, not helped by not having heard of 26a - philistine that I am!
8 of 88  -   Report This Post

johnson

22nd January 2022, 03:54
Started rapidly, but equally rapidly ground to a halt.
Half done only…..
Left side and 11ac done (agree 11ac looking like good contender for COD)
Completely dried up for the rest of the right side….πŸ˜•
Any cheeky hints for 5d or 6d???”
9 of 88  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd January 2022, 04:08
Hi Johnson,

6d - 3 letter "bill" reversed/"turned up" + O + 2 letter "empty school" + 4 letter "it hurts" - definition is "show efficiency"?
10 of 88  -   Report This Post