CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

alzy

6th June 2021, 01:16
All fine and straightforward but spent the last half hour with no success on 15a. Hints welcome !
1 of 50  -   Report This Post

timb

6th June 2021, 01:34
It'a a modern novel - one letter for 'about', 4 letters for 'brash' then a mythological strongman :)
I found this harder than usual. Is it just me or is Everyman getting harder?
2 of 50  -   Report This Post

geeker

6th June 2021, 02:08
I found this difficult. 10 was LOI, 15 just before that. Both involved GK I don't possess; had to resort to Google to confirm 15's solution and parse the first 5 letters of 10. 10 was a nice clue, though, so I'll call it COD. FOI was 13.
I'm a relative newcomer to Everyman and can't speak to trends. But quite a few comments to 225's Everyman posts have recently mentioned increased difficulty.
3 of 50  -   Report This Post

rainman

6th June 2021, 02:40
Since I got 1a straight away, I thought this was going to be a breeze, but I hit few road blocks. I'm still not sure of the parsing of 7d. I assume that 25a is all about transatlantic misunderstandings unless I have got it completely wrong.
4 of 50  -   Report This Post

geeker

6th June 2021, 02:47
I had a lot of trouble parsing 7, so this may be wrong, but I see it as a word for "that may be seen" with a letter indicating "times" removed.
5 of 50  -   Report This Post

rainman

6th June 2021, 02:56
I'll have to think about it. I usually can't choose CODs, but I quite liked 6d and 16d for their simplicity. However, I think 18d must be one of the most tortuous clues I've seen in a long time.
6 of 50  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th June 2021, 04:57
couldn't sleep so, in the absence of brendan ... I'm sure you're right about 7, geeker. 25a is v simple, rainman - the word goes naturally with chest in one sense and underneath it in another. I had never heard of that definition of the last three letters of 6, so my vocab enriched. think if I see 3 clued like that again, I shall have an attack ... 15 is a very good novel - made into an unsuccessful film
7 of 50  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th June 2021, 05:31
oh, and we are treated to three rhymes this week, and I am wondering whether the half-rhymes in 6,19, 25 and 26 are intentional. Certainly closer than the assonance implied in 12, where "perhaps" is doing a great deal of work ... on the subject of difficulty, in the old days Everyman used to be doable in 12-15 minutes. Then about 18 months ago there was a series of very difficult ones, accompanied by a number of complaints on this site and solvers swearing they would never attempt another. Then it seems as if another setter took over who creates moderately puzzling puzzles, about 20-minute solves ... with rhymes.
8 of 50  -   Report This Post

lucertola

6th June 2021, 05:34
Thanks, timb. Your explanation allowed me to complete the puzzle. Never heard of this novel before although I'm moderately bookish.
9 of 50  -   Report This Post

yevrah

6th June 2021, 06:03
Good day all. Prospero's 20 minutes...! If I manage under an hour I'm chuffed. These all dropped in today though cannot really parse a few of them. No clues stood out for me but I'll opt for 19a as COD as I have a noisy rookery nearby that wakes me up to enable me to tackle everyman early in the day. Agree with comments on 18d and 3d. Perhaps a few too many anagrams today.
10 of 50  -   Report This Post