CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rocketman

29th May 2021, 22:30
52 Across - A bit of a convoluted clue, which reads:-
"Partner once visiting cooked like intelligent home help" (5)
( have A-E-A)
Also, in the clue to 37 Down, "All leave is cancelled after six men,
note, use catapults", it seems apparent that "six" should have read "ten", because "X" is included in the solution.
1 of 28  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

29th May 2021, 22:34
52a ALEXA
37d yes ...looks like shoulda been ten to make the anagram work...exeunt omnes
2 of 28  -   Report This Post

malone

29th May 2021, 22:35
52 Alexa, home help - Alexa, what is the temperature etc! Ex, partner once, inside A La, cooked like (a la mode, say).
3 of 28  -   Report This Post

rocketman

29th May 2021, 22:40
Many thanks, xwordfan and Malone. Never heard of Alexa, but that'll be the one.
4 of 28  -   Report This Post

ginge

30th May 2021, 02:13
37d is a subtractive anagram;
[(six men note use) - is]*
subtraction indicator : cancelled
5 of 28  -   Report This Post

strangelybrown

30th May 2021, 17:25
Ground to a halt with about half done, and the likes of 37d explains why. Dubious anagram indicator leading to an arcane phrase in a foreign language, dreadful stuff, wouldn't have got it in a million years.
6 of 28  -   Report This Post

malone

30th May 2021, 18:17
SB, I had a wry smile at your post. You mentioned the 'arcane' phrase just after Rocketman commented on not knowing Alexa, the virtual assistant on phones, computers etc. One reference could be seen as a bit too old, the other could be considered too new for some solvers!

7 of 28  -   Report This Post

merryphil

30th May 2021, 21:05
Am I being over pedantic but should "Thatcher" when referring to an artisan rather than the Prime Minister, and Victor, referring to a winner rather than a person's name, be caoitalised? I would have thought not.
8 of 28  -   Report This Post

strangelybrown

31st May 2021, 09:55
Don't really know where to start in asking for help, but here are some of the ones particularly bugging me.

40a Rough bits apparently swapped by carpenter? (6) c???p? Chippy? Choppy? What bits are apparently swapped?

47d MD when visiting English hospital is one after blood much earlier (2,4) ?? ?a?h.

12d Girl's teacher fitting extra lesson in, finally flipping (6) D?????
9 of 28  -   Report This Post

chrise

31st May 2021, 10:06
0 and 1 (O and I) are bits in computing. It's still ambiguous without the other crosser, though.
10 of 28  -   Report This Post