CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

yma

28th May 2016, 13:27
flummoxed,,,,,18 ac 4,2,5,3,1,6- - - - no letters at mo,unruly nationalist faced clear request for peace ,,,please and thankyou to get started
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

jolan

28th May 2016, 13:30
Try TACE IS LATIN FOR A CANDLE
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

jolan

28th May 2016, 13:34
Forgot to add "anag"
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

yma

28th May 2016, 13:35
thankyou
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

bear of lb

28th May 2016, 13:51
I agree with yma - terminally flummoxed on this, though I had guessed "candle". The rest, however, completely defeated me.

Is this supposedly a well-known phrase or saying? If it is I've never come across it before. Jolan, obviously, is better-read.

However even with this I'm stuck on the last 12 in the top left corner, so would some kind person explain :

1A - Dampened early report of old historian's wedding? (7)

No letters to offer & neither Herodotus nor Thucydides seems to fit....
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

trevor

28th May 2016, 13:59
bedewed?
(bede wed)
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

bear of lb

28th May 2016, 14:42
Trevor, Thanks.

Perhaps this will refresh my flagging brain cell.

Sorry for the delay in replying - I was having some lunch.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

manxhatter

28th May 2016, 15:40
New one for me. Found this on the interweb

The obsolete phrase tace is Latin for (a) candle means do not throw light on it, keep it dark, secret. Latin tace means be silent, and candle is symbolical of light.

It was used by Jonathan Swift in A Complete Collection of Genteel and Ingenious Conversation, published in 1738 but composed in the first decade of the 18th century:

- Lady Smart: Well, but, after all, Tom, can you tell me what’s Latin for a Goose.

- Mr Neverout: O my Lord, I know that; why Brandy is Latin for a Goose, and Tace is Latin for a Candle.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post