CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tintin

2nd May 2016, 16:27
I know there's a thread much further down but that's mainly to do with the problems getting a printed version today.
I've solved a lot of the clues but can only make slight headway with the special instructions - some seem to work and others don't! Ar ethey all supposed to work in the same way????
1 of 37  -   Report This Post

nikki

2nd May 2016, 16:38
I am in the same position. I have answers for all the clues except 20a (which I would appreciate a hint for!), but cannot consistently work out what to enter in the grid. I don't understand how the extra words become the cryptic instructions.
2 of 37  -   Report This Post

cmk

2nd May 2016, 16:49
Look at the superfluous words themselves, and split them up eg easy becomes 'e' as 'y' (though I don't think that's one of them, actually)

Haven't solved all yet, but I think that's the key.
3 of 37  -   Report This Post

trevor

2nd May 2016, 17:01
have filled it in but can only see nine of the across clues that fit the bill. the nearest contender i have for the 10th one is the one you mention cmk but it doesn't quite work.
4 of 37  -   Report This Post

trevor

2nd May 2016, 17:04
Nikki, 1st word is 'superflous'. think about world famous statesman.
5 of 37  -   Report This Post

cmk

2nd May 2016, 17:06
Trevor - yes, I thought that was one of 'them' at first, but it seems to only work as a straight clue. Mind you, I only have eight of the special across clues so far (and four of the downs) so it's all still a bit up in the air, despite having worked out the instructions.
6 of 37  -   Report This Post

ixion

2nd May 2016, 17:24
Enjoyable puzzle...the modifications before entry aren't always obvious, particularly when not crossers.
7 of 37  -   Report This Post

nikki

2nd May 2016, 17:25
Thank you, cmk - makes sense now. I have only found nine of the extra across words.
8 of 37  -   Report This Post

tintin

2nd May 2016, 17:41
cmk - that's exactly what I was thinking and although some work like that, some don't! I assume 1a is a changer and the straight clue is obvious. However can't make it work with the superfluous word.
9 of 37  -   Report This Post

cmk

2nd May 2016, 17:55
I think it works just like the others, Tintin. Replace the 'Ter' of your obvious answer with the alternative suggested by the superfluous word. It's not a common word, but it is a word.
10 of 37  -   Report This Post