CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

planks

30th April 2016, 13:30
I have a full grid but am getting nowhere with the substitutions for the new words in the columns. A nudge to get me started would be much appreciated. Nothing too overt please.
1 of 97  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

30th April 2016, 16:21
Struggling similarly and contemplating defeat. If it was as straightforward as the preamble suggests you would think that even with the substitution of one letter in each column the two 9 letter words at least should be easily identifiable, which makes me suspect that the preamble is misleading in some way. I wouldn't mind but the grid fill was easy, once I had my first full across set and a few downs it was easy to find the start point purely through elimination - the rest then fell into place like a jigsaw. Infuriating!
2 of 97  -   Report This Post

meursault

30th April 2016, 16:34
Still filling the grid here. As you say, it fits together pretty easily once you get started. For those who use the 'high value letters' method to get started : beware, there is more than one pair of 8-value letters.
3 of 97  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

30th April 2016, 16:39
Sorry Meursault, that comment has me more mystified than by the puzzle - what do you mean by 'high value letters'??
4 of 97  -   Report This Post

planks

30th April 2016, 16:57
I have a feeling the order of the new word lengths in the preamble may not be in column order. I could be barking up the wrong tree but I have found a possible in column 2 and it is longer than 3.
5 of 97  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

30th April 2016, 17:08
I must admit I just assumed that those lengths were simply shown in order of length as opposed to column. Which row does your hunch start in? I thought I had an inkling earlier but it was too bizarre even for the Listener to be possible - I'd tell you it but you'd only laugh!
6 of 97  -   Report This Post

meursault

30th April 2016, 17:15
S_Pugh, High-value as in scrabble. If you have the hard copy, turn to page 53 for a key of values.
I now have a full grid but don't see how row 11 works. If 11a is PEE, then there isn't enough room in the row for both the other answers...if 11c is PETE, then it should be the first 11 clue, not the last.
7 of 97  -   Report This Post

planks

30th April 2016, 17:16
It starts in row 11 and the changed letter sort of chimes with the title of the puzzle. That said I have got no further and could be completely wrong. I'm on the point of giving in to be honest.
8 of 97  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

30th April 2016, 17:21
Meursault - oh right, Scrabble. Wondered there! I concur on your 11a and 11c, with a golf term in between (and an extra 3-letter word after) ...
9 of 97  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

30th April 2016, 17:27
Well spotted planks and I can immediately see 2 more examples hardly even looking )I'd seen one earlier but didn't even consider it!), trust you are on the same path but if you need me to elaborate then shout ....
10 of 97  -   Report This Post