CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

demeter

27th June 2015, 18:25
I just can't make head or tail of this. Some entries are too long for the grid, others are too short, it seems.

I've solved nearly half the clues, including the penultimate down one ("How to greet one of the unclued force elsewhere? (6)) which gives a hint as to the nature of the unclued entries, but I have no idea how to start filling the grid.

Hint please?
1 of 53  -   Report This Post

salisaturday

27th June 2015, 19:22
Wish I could, demeter, but I'm in a similar position. I don't even have any bright ideas about how to get a foothold in the grid. I suspect I'm missing something in the instructions.
2 of 53  -   Report This Post

unclued

27th June 2015, 19:28
Where two entries seem too long e.g. The first two across clues, solve them and eliminate a name from between them. This leaves a blank cell. The two clues in this example give (in the top right corner) CLAM-S. Hope that gets you started!
3 of 53  -   Report This Post

demeter

27th June 2015, 21:17
Thanks Unclued.

I'll have another bash.
4 of 53  -   Report This Post

escuan

27th June 2015, 23:02
This might work if I had managed to solve two consecutive clues, but I've only solved 5 of the acrosses. I have done slightly better on the downs, solving nine in all, including two groups of 3. I can't make the name thing work with them. Are the downs dealt with differently? I can't see that they would work the same way. A hint for the 2nd across clue would be helpful to get me started.
5 of 53  -   Report This Post

salisaturday

27th June 2015, 23:05
Thanks from me as well, unclued.

Can I ask - what made you even think of that approach? I can't see anything in the preamble that would point me that way.

Is that experience, or am I just a bit dim?
6 of 53  -   Report This Post

kilgore trout

27th June 2015, 23:06
escuan, think Citizen Kane.
7 of 53  -   Report This Post

unclued

28th June 2015, 07:10
I found the best way was to number the clues and put the number into the cell where I thought the answer would start. It was hard to get the ordering correct so for example the first unclued entry starts at the final cell in the first row and then fills the first five cells at the top left.
I have four names (all across strings) that are linked by a word of four letters but I haven't got any of the unclued answers yet.
The down answers should be of a similar style to the across answers.
I am enjoying this one but still have a long way to go!
8 of 53  -   Report This Post

dryden

28th June 2015, 07:54
I have rather further to go than Unclued, but a letter count reveals that the down answers have a total of 101 letters; there are 120 cells in the grid but 26 of those are isolated by horizontal bars. Some of those will be starts or ends of wrapped-round answers, so this suggests that there is far less squeezing of down answers than is the case with the acrosses, where 147 letters have to be squeezed into 120 cells (minus at least 6 barred off cells).

I've placed several downs to connect with the last across answer (two wrapping round), but if that bottom row turns out to be two answers squeezed together, what I've done will be wasted effort.
9 of 53  -   Report This Post

dryden

28th June 2015, 09:19
Getting two more of the early across answers has enabled me to fill the top four rows apart from the blanks and one cell that I assume is part of an unclued down.

One answer is in Chambers but not with the relevant definition. Most internet sites give it as two words when defined as in the clue (the traffic problem clue).

At last some progress.
10 of 53  -   Report This Post