CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

31st March 2015, 21:15
Ok folks,

The idea is that we run another clue construction competition, however, it will differ from the CLUELESS & PEER REVIEW Threads.
Also, I propose to run it from Friday or Saturday to Sunday or Monday - the weekend time frame would be to the preference of whoever sets for that week.
I feel a fitting title would be 'The Link'

As we will all have seen in the many crosswords that we persevere over, on occasion, we witness that special talent of the professionals of linking one clue to another by which there will be a primary source clue that uses another clue as fodder for its definition or wordplay.
I propose that each week, the winner from the previous week chooses TWO words (these can have whatever number entries that the setter sees fit (ie, 2a & 17d) That part would be entirely up to you.

The twist with this one is that the setters can choose either word as the source clue but must use reference to the second word as part of its make up or definition.

I have compiled two examples so you get the drift of it, I have used word No1 as source with word No2 as its subsidiary, and vice-versa using word No2 as source and word No1 as subsidiary.

2a) Peach (5)

17d) Apple (5)

My efforts are:

2a) Cheap mixture, maybe seen in the bowl with 17d (5)

17d) Adam's ale, drinking a double 2a first (5)

I'll let you work those out as they're not too difficult.

It also gives you the choice of having a single go at one of the combinations, but if you're feeling very cryptic, you could have a go at both ways and even offer multiple entries like Clueless & Peer Review.

I feel we should run the voting as we do on Peer Review, just so we all get a chance of showing our appreciation of the varied wordplays.

I did think that this could be made to be a very difficult challenge if whoever is the setter picks two very obscure words, but that's the setters choice.

If you're all ok with this, I'll start it this Friday with two words that are something fitting with Easter and if it is received well, then we'll see how it goes.

Feedback would be welcome,

Cheers Les40

1 of 13  -   Report This Post

chrise

31st March 2015, 21:18
Brain ache, les!
2 of 13  -   Report This Post

les40

31st March 2015, 21:24
Is that a statement of how you feel Chris or is it a suggestion for the first two words... ha ha
3 of 13  -   Report This Post

chrise

31st March 2015, 21:27
They might work!
4 of 13  -   Report This Post

ginge

31st March 2015, 21:38
Hi Les et al, nice idea but regardless of its success as you've proposed it; I feel the timing over a weekend will very quickly see it going the way of the "weekend" version of Peer Review which limped it's way into a demise.
Speaking purely from a personal point of view I didn't enjoy the obligations as host on the Sunday so perhaps a Monday conclusion would appeal to more people and possibly to allow those with busy weekends if it runs Monday to Monday?
5 of 13  -   Report This Post

syzygy

31st March 2015, 22:48
I like Ginge's idea of making it a week-long effort. Also a personal view because of work.
With PR I can enter but getting Friday's submissions & voting is often problematic.

Plus, it will give people more time to polish their entries & avoid the frequent corrections.

Do the clue numbers have any significance, other than a reference? I assume they aren't taken from another puzzle.

@Chrise: These might not parse quite like Les intended.

1A) Abrin is a poisonous compound. Overuse may cause a 2D for Chrise (5) (-;

2D) Using one's 1A will be good for everyone from start to finish (4)
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

rosalind

31st March 2015, 23:23
That's a clever idea, Les. I think a week would be too long- I think weekend PR failed because it was a duplicate of PR and didn't attract others to join as was intended. Could try both- a weekend and a week. I'd have lost interest at the end of a week and would forget to vote!
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

les40

1st April 2015, 14:23
I think I'll just run it up the flagpole on Friday and see how many salute it.

Syzzie: I mentioned the clues numbers in the first post. It doesn't matter what is picked. Although, the pedants may pick up on you if you use 1a & 1d and they don't start with the same letter.

8 of 13  -   Report This Post

fieryjack

1st April 2015, 15:28
Smart thinking boss.
Good idea, let's see how it goes!
As long as we don't get into (take a letter away from the answer bullshit) the pseudo-intellectualism crap that some of you seem to inhabit! oops haha
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

syzygy

1st April 2015, 20:32
Not sure if these fit the bill, but they do fit together, in a way.

9A) Hot sauté that is filling, followed by 10A rabbit? (5)

10A) Aussie fed up with mild cheese. Wants 9A starter? (4)
10 of 13  -   Report This Post