CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crackabilly

27th February 2015, 17:44
I have finished every EV since Sept 14 (without & with varrying degrees of help). This one is proving a particular struggle - makes me realise how much I rely on crossing letters to help me along (altough I didn't find the recent morse code one too bad).
Stuck on 9; any hints on any of these would be appreciated:
* Cheap fag makes insect perish (6)
* Pacific country once not quite friendly (5)
* French swindlers in Paris are singular reptiles (7)
* Hydrous silicate not soft but fine, subject to conditions (6)
* International in a bit of fun on street is most sensational (7)
* Gold without red is colour for Americans (5)
* Compound used around hard skin (6)
* Recovered cardinal danced around (8)
* Rose aounds like one that's sharp
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

ab

27th February 2015, 18:05
Tonga was once the "Friendly islands" but this seems a bit thin, perhaps?
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

ab

27th February 2015, 18:08
Pinite is a hydrous alkaline silicate. With P (soft) replaced by f (fine) it is finite?
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

ab

27th February 2015, 18:17
I apologise profusely.
Did not read the bit about "hints".
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

crackabilly

27th February 2015, 18:19
Thanks for that ab.
What I should of said is that the answers are in alphabetic order - the pacific country one is 7 letters long (my mistake) - answer should fit between CYAN & ELAN
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

27th February 2015, 19:15
* Rose aounds like one that's sharp - 6 letter synonym for rose - and it sounds like something sharp
* Recovered cardinal danced around (8) - 6 letter synonym for danced with 2 letter abbrev for cardinal inside - defn recovered ( not get better , the other re-cover)
* International in a bit of fun on street is most sensational - 4 letter synonym for fun with i inside then add on the "street"

1. the insect is a bee
2 ireland = 4 letter synonym for friendly missing its last letter
french swindlers is the defn - i got that one from the crossers when i had filled in most of the grid
compound... think oxygen compound and add in H
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

crackabilly

28th February 2015, 12:31
Thanks sudokulover - really helpful
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

2nd March 2015, 18:50
I have been looking at this for 8 days now and I am getting nowhere fast. I have all the clued answers in the grid and, as far as I can see, there is only one possibility for each of 2, 9 and 21 down. I can find several possibilities for 24 down and the interlinked unclued answers in the North-West corner throw up myriad possibilities. Any heavy hints would be most welcome.
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

2nd March 2015, 19:56
All the unclued answers are unique but are not connected apart from that fact.

One is Russian
One is er indoors
These 2 intersect at 1d and 1a

One is a typical sewing related answer you only see in crosswords

You are looking for a mathematician in a diagonal that one of the unclueds help finish off.

His name beginning with F and another word of 6 letters are the theme of the puzzle

9 of 11  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

3rd March 2015, 13:51
Many thanks for those pointers djawhufc. Grid now complete and highlighted. Will big Sam still be there next season?
10 of 11  -   Report This Post