CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

26th January 2015, 13:06
...not that today isn't.

We're expecting a monster blizzard, with two to three feet of snow and hurricane-force winds near the coast; it's supposed to start late this afternoon and end Wednesday morning. I'll post a bit early in case we have a power and/or internet outage, and if you don't hear from me on Wednesday you'll know why. We just had a snowstorm on Saturday, during which I dodged a bullet. I'd gone out for an armload of firewood, and when I went back for another there was an enormous limb of white pine that had fallen across the path to our woodshed from about eighty feet up (Pinus strobus, a magnificent tree that was once off limits to colonists if blazed with the King's Broad Arrow; it grew to over two hundred feet). Timing is everything. We're apparently getting more snow on Friday too.

Our (very) local, Super Bowl-bound Patriots have been accused of playing with deflated balls in last week's game against the Colts. Before this storm appeared on the horizon this seemed to be the end of the world (well, it still does), and you can imagine what fun the news media have been having with headlines. I hope the players can get over the scandal and be pumped for the big one. :) Are you out there, ginge? What's the word in your betting circles?
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

andyc

26th January 2015, 13:38
Good luck Aristo, I hope you can successfully weather the storm.
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

jolan

26th January 2015, 14:41
I wish you well too Ari.

"deflated balls", eh?
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

les40

26th January 2015, 17:37
Hi Aristo,

I don't think the forum would mind if you posted a tad early under the extreme circumstances.

Would I be correct in saying that if you post at about 9:30pm (Monday evening) your time, that would be about 2:30am (Tuesday morning) British time.
It will be here for breakfast.

Good luck with the weather, as you know, I love the snow - 6 weeks on Friday to the big challenge in Chamonix.
Take care.
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

26th January 2015, 22:53
hi aristo , ginge was last seen heading for a burns supper hell bent on refusing solid refrehments....
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

rosalind

26th January 2015, 22:54
I was going to start a thread saying I hope you get through the storm OK. Seeing the branch of the tree across your path must have been really scary (though a good source of firewood for next year). I was once quite near a small branch as it fell and the end buried itself several inches into the ground.
Why would it be an advantage to play with a deflated ball? Maybe best not to answer that.
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

trevor

26th January 2015, 23:24
i hope you've taken all your washing in, stick it in the drier, hours of fun!
would deflated balls mean that it is harder to get a 'home run' ? i've never encountered that problem myself.
best of luck.
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

theambler

26th January 2015, 23:26
Hi Aristo Just a line to say - Sit tight and stay in!!!
Just seen a news report describing whats coming towards you Also your mayor/gov speaking crisis speak with strange idioms Ive never heard before. Still he seems to know what hes doing No planes, no cars, no metro, no shops, no schools, etc. so is it New York or Massachusets.
All the best to both of you and the others The ever -suffering Mrs T concurs
THEA
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

27th January 2015, 00:16
Thanks, everyone. The prediction for our area is now three feet of snow. As you've heard, theambler, there's a driving ban and the T (the Boston transit system) is shutting down at midnight. All flights out of Logan have been cancelled as of this evening and there won't be any tomorrow. How do they ever catch up?

You sound like one lucky guy, trevor.

Rosalind: Can't burn it indoors- far too resinous. The scent is pure heaven though.

9 of 12  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

27th January 2015, 00:33
BigBad: I had to look up Burns supper; it's what I thought it had to be. The description I read says that these wild affairs "occasionally end with dancing when ladies are present." But who does the dancing? You make it sound as if ginge might be performing even if the ladies are missing.
10 of 12  -   Report This Post