CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

fanfer

25th January 2015, 09:46
I've completed the grid so I should be good to go but I am totally stuck. I have no idea who the follower is so I can't complete the endgame. Any hint would be welcome.
1 of 24  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

25th January 2015, 11:39
Slavish is the hint.

Look up brief and slave on Internet this person is mentioned.
2 of 24  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

26th January 2015, 11:57
I had no trouble solving the clues and working out what was required in certain cells, and the follower was easy to guess from the fallout - and then confirm on the internet.

But I don't understand the highlighting instruction. The name isn't represented in, shall we say, a straightforward fashion. Is there a reason for that?
3 of 24  -   Report This Post

kilgore trout

26th January 2015, 12:08
The follower appears in the grid in reversed fashion. The letters are in a straight line.
4 of 24  -   Report This Post

kobnut

26th January 2015, 12:52
Does anyone else believe there is an ambiguity in at least one of the replacements?

5 of 24  -   Report This Post

riversk

26th January 2015, 14:25
Kobnut, I had:

@ for A*
A*******D for A**
S***A for S**
C***N for R****

But these don't seem to have anything to do with the thematic character's system.

Seems like, at a minimum, "+" and/or "/" might be viable candidates. And the symbol for "et", invented by the thematic character, might also be appropriate for A**.
6 of 24  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

26th January 2015, 14:36
I have the same as riversk and agree with his alternatives. I think the ones we have chosen are the most obvious.
7 of 24  -   Report This Post

malcolmd

26th January 2015, 14:57
Are the 'omissions' relevant, apart from establishing the type of omissions we need to apply to the examples of the 'final word of the quotation'? I didn't think we would be reusing the omissions...just finding more relevant ones.
8 of 24  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

26th January 2015, 15:15
The omissions are relevant in the endgame
9 of 24  -   Report This Post

malcolmd

26th January 2015, 15:31
I thought we would be looking for similar types of 'omissions' that would fit with each example of the 'last word of the quote'.
10 of 24  -   Report This Post