CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cloverjo

24th November 2014, 12:18
Has anyone completed this numerical? I have a full grid and can complete the first part of the game where we remove F, E .... 2,1. Putting the remaining letters in an anagram solver I have sets of three words of the required length, one of which could at a stretch be described as thematic, but I can't see how to spell out the words in the required way by removing them from the board.
Would anyone be able to give me a hint of the 9 letter word, please. I don't want to give too much anyway. Is it the name of a 14th century writer, or have I gone terribly wrong? Thank you.
1 of 17  -   Report This Post

carpox1

24th November 2014, 13:26
You're some way ahead of me, cloverjo. I have an incomplete grid (missing 1ac/dn, 5ac, 7ac, 17ac, 18ac, and 15dn). I'm trying to use the fact that the digits F, E, ..., 2, 1 must be present somewhere in the grid to complete 17ac, 18 ac, 15dn (it worked for '8', I think/hope) together with the divisibility information.
2 of 17  -   Report This Post

carpox1

24th November 2014, 14:53
I have the full grid and the countdown. I can see the 9 letters for a 14th century author and poet, but also have yet to find a way of removing those letters in sequence.
3 of 17  -   Report This Post

unclued

24th November 2014, 17:40
Cloverjo - look up in Chambers another meaning of solitaire. Your initial thoughts are wrong.
4 of 17  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

24th November 2014, 18:24
Thanks for all the replies, especially unclued. I think I've got all the correct 9 letter word now, and the two related other words. Not sure of the correct order. Back to playing the game. Thank you.
5 of 17  -   Report This Post

unclued

24th November 2014, 18:51
I have 9 3 4 with the 4 letter word ending in O.
6 of 17  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

24th November 2014, 20:09
Thanks again, unclued. That's what I thought must be the right order.
7 of 17  -   Report This Post

demeter

24th November 2014, 21:28
I presume the three are birds.

Two (9 and 4) are extinct, but 3 isn't is it?
8 of 17  -   Report This Post

unclued

24th November 2014, 21:56
I agree Demeter. A solitaire isn't extinct either. I enjoyed this puzzle and was very lucky with my deductions!
9 of 17  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

26th November 2014, 22:01
Didn't start this until today and feel like giving up without starting. I have only 10dn in the grid!

I understand hexadecimal (just) and realise that the 'numbers' in the Properties are in hex: so far so good. So 'digits' must then surely refer to the hex entries. But ... if so, how can 5dn contain 'only letter digits' and 'only odd digits'? If what is meant is that 5dn contains only decimal 'odd numbers' before it's converted to hex, why not say so?

It's infuriating when you can't even make sense of the instructions.

10 of 17  -   Report This Post