CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

syzygy

19th October 2014, 05:09

Puzzle:
http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-WQdeO9wXEHbDlZcTFwa1hVZGs/view?usp=sharing

As always, for best results download, then open & print.

Solution for previous - 20141004:
http://blogs.wsj.com/puzzle/2014/10/03/special-delivery-saturday-puzzle/tab/puzzle_solution/

If solvers wish to have the current solution sooner:
http://blogs.wsj.com/puzzle/

* Enter the puzzle title in the search bar (centre right), e.g. Egg Hunt
* Click GO.
* Click the title.
* Click the Solution tab.

1 of 10  -   Report This Post

mattrom

19th October 2014, 07:03
Thanks, Syzygy - printed out for later.
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

mattrom

20th October 2014, 00:56
I find these puzzles quite intriguing. Liked 14a & 8d, even though 8d was last in.
Had to Google a few, although I did summon up 25a from the dim recesses of high school history lessons.
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

syzygy

20th October 2014, 08:54
Glad you like them, Mattrom, though Cox & Rathvon used to pose much better & harder puzzles when they worked for The Atlantic. That went south some years ago when the magazine restricted the puzzle to on-line subscribers, then dropped it completely.
Stupid decision - I stopped reading it. How many others?

Americanisms are to be expected, as are British-isms (?) in the puzzles we love.

I have an archived list of Atlantic puzzle links which I probably posted some time ago, but will have to check if they still work. If so, I'll post them again.

Cheers.
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

20th October 2014, 14:42
Thanks, syzzie. I liked this one, though I don't see what "it" is squeezed by in 3d (the answer itself is obvious). Stars for 9a, 14a, 26a, 28a, and 5d (for the use of "bowl").

I always loved The Atlantic; you just never knew what to expect. But when it moved from Boston to Washington it became almost as smarmy as The New Yorker and far too caught up in political junk. I still subscribe to it, but only so that I can be the archetypal curmudgeonly New Englander and derive a bit of pleasure from complaining about how debased it is.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

bobs mum

20th October 2014, 14:43
have a go at clue chain guys --- while u are still awake!!!
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

20th October 2014, 14:54
It's morning here, bobs mum, but I can no longer participate in Clue Chain because I keep getting shut out of the site for, say, twenty minutes at a time.

In fact I've been trying to post this for ten minutes now...
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

bobs mum

20th October 2014, 14:56
That's a shame aristo--- soz, I am a idiot, always think u are ahead of us lol lol lol ----- good luck with the site --- it can be a pain at times
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

20th October 2014, 19:13
I see 3d now. I'm just a little slow.
Love the "something eggy".
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

ginge

20th November 2014, 15:01
Cheers syzygy, very enjoyable a nice concept. 23d took me quite a while to parse until I "guessed" "L" is the elevator button for lobby? Really liked 9,11, 31 across and 12 down.
I see I've still got a bit of catching up to do so while the iron's hot ..........
10 of 10  -   Report This Post