CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

norah (admin)

17th August 2014, 12:57
Ash has checked the advert mention in the thread : http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/442708/not-crossword?thread-page=

He assures me that the advert is not malware and is not dangerous to your computer. Unfortunately, he is not in a position to block every advert that appears on the site unless it is harmful or causing a problem so he is not taking any action on this one.

However, as a matter of course, he has always told me NEVER TO DOWNLOAD ANYTHING on any site by clicking on a link unless I know the site I am dealing with, I am not talking about the Crossword Forum site (that is safe enough), I am talking about the site behind the advert.

The advertising company is responsible for the adverts and one assumes they are not allowing malware onto the Forum but it is not worth taking the risk. Ash doubts whether the majority of these "computer running slow" adverts actually make the computer run any faster and he has told me never to use them.

THE PRINCIPLE IS, AVOID THE ADVERTS WITH YOUR MOUSE AND NEVER CLICK ON THEM, NO MATTER WHAT THEY PROMISE!

1 of 5  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

17th August 2014, 15:44
^
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

jamespeter

20th October 2014, 03:20
Optimize the system services by creating a profile with minimal no of services. Services are nothing but the background processes. There are some services which are not necessary. Such services should be stopped.

1. Press Windows Key + R.
2. Type "services.msc" in the Open textbox.
3. Click the OK button.
4. Right click a service you would like to terminate, and select Properties option.
5. Service Properties dialog will open.
6. Click the Stop button.
7. Select "Manual" from the "Startup Type" drop down box.
8. Click the OK button.
9. Do the same for all unnecessary services.

Use the Zombie Soft Fix. Select "computer runs slow" in the drop down box. Select the operating system from the subsequent drop down box. Follow the wizard.

Windows provides a way to optimize system settings for best performance. You can either customize Windows for best performance or best appearance. The former option should be selected as shown below:

1. Right click Computer desktop icon.
2. Select Properties.
3. Click "Advanced system settings" link.
4. Click the Advanced tab.
5. Click Settings under Performance frame.
6. Click the Visual Effects tab.
7. Select "Adjust for best performance" option.
8. Click OK | OK.
9. Restart your computer for the changes to take effects.
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

dtee

20th October 2014, 08:00
THE PRINCIPLE IS, AVOID THE ADVERTS WITH YOUR MOUSE AND NEVER CLICK ON THEM, NO MATTER WHAT THEY PROMISE!

It's all very well saying that but the adverts have a habit of popping up under a cursor so you can't avoid them
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

syzygy

20th October 2014, 08:02
Bravo !

I doubt 99% of users have any idea of which "services" they should terminate. That's downright silly.

Also a very comforting advisory from Admin, in CAPS at the bottom.
Question is, why are those type of ads on the forum?

It's rather lame to just say, "Keep your mouse away" & "Don't click them."

It's all about the money:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXd155v8Z5U
No deep lyrics there, but that is what it's all about.

Be quick about it. This thread, or at least this post, will probably disappear shortly.

5 of 5  -   Report This Post