CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

22nd April 2014, 21:38
Help appreciated with parsing for these......

20a. In brief, this state is fine (8) - OKLAHOMA - I thought this might be abbreviations of various states LA, MA and OK for 'Fine' but that leaves HO so I'm sure I'm sure I'm completely on the wrong track.

52a. Small and insignificant? Yes (6) - SLIGHT - This looks like S(mall) + LIGHT (Insignificant), but why the question mark and why 'Yes'?
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd April 2014, 21:44
OK is the two-letter code for Oklahoma
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd April 2014, 21:49
Because slight means small and insignificant
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd April 2014, 21:52
Thanks Jazzgirl. Re 52. How would the answer change if the the ? and 'Yes' were missing? I'm still not seeing it.
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd April 2014, 21:54
If the ? and yes were omitted, it would just be general knowledge I guess.
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd April 2014, 21:58
That's exactly my point. If the clue was in 'Times 2' and just read - 'Small and Insignificant' (5) - the answer would still be SLIGHT. I just don't see how sticking a question mark on a general knowledge question somehow makes it cryptic. Don't get me wrong Jazzgirl, I'm sure you're right and I greatly appreciate your help. Thanks again.
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd April 2014, 22:02
S(small) and light(insignificant) = slight (small and insignificant). I can' think of any other way to parse it. maybe someone else has a better answer. I feel it is a rather weak clue
7 of 7  -   Report This Post