CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

phillip

25th December 2011, 19:20
As last week's winner ( I correctly identified the sound of a man in a kagoule operating a platen printing press near a bee hive)it falls to me to set this week's poser. Here goes..

"Brmmmmmmmmp! Brmmmmmmmp! Schloo-ooo-ooop! Dug-a-dug-a-duga-duga-a. B-Dunk! B-Dunk! Ting!"

Do you know what that sound is? Here it is again.

Brmmmmmmmmp! Brmmmmmmmp! Schloo-ooo-ooop! Dug-a-dug-a-duga-duga-a. B-Dunk! B-Dunk! Ting!"

Competition closes 1630 BST tomorrow.
1 of 19  -   Report This Post

pastille

25th December 2011, 22:55
Yes!...I know this!!!

I used to own a much loved Volkswagen Beetle...and that was exactly the sound the engine made just before "clapping out" and grinding to a halt...usually at a junction, traffic lights or roundabout!

That final ting was the give away.

Yours confidently,

A very merry pastille,

Good tidings to all xxx

2 of 19  -   Report This Post

phillip

25th December 2011, 23:12
That's incredible pastille. What are the odds on us having owned the same car at some time. I just can't believe it. Oh well, your turn next week.
3 of 19  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

26th December 2011, 00:23
Well! It's a pretty boring competition that's answered at the first attempt. I hope you come up with something rather more testing, pastille!
4 of 19  -   Report This Post

pastille

26th December 2011, 10:13
Pretty boring!!!

Bullfrog....I think you will find that it was sheer skill and the precise personal knowledge of the workings of a 1972 Volkswagen (Special Addition with sun roof...Gold!)Beetle, which did win me the competition.

Pssst...I do have a cunning entry for next week, so be prepared.

And thank you Phillip...I loved that car.

B.t.w. Did anyone ever find out what the "sound" was at that Radio competition a few weeks ago?
5 of 19  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th December 2011, 14:42
Our 1996 Beagle just made this very series of sounds. He's lying on the sofa, recovering from the stuffed cabbage he stole from the kitchen table yesterday.
6 of 19  -   Report This Post

phillip

26th December 2011, 19:01
I think you'll find that the noise your mutt made was actually......

Brmmmmmmmmp! Brmmmmmmmp! Schloo-ooo-ooop! Dug-a-dug-a-duga-duga-a. B-Dunk! B-Dunk! Ding Dong!"
close,but not quite what we are looking for so to speak. By the way is "stuffed cabbage" a euphemism for some sort of gentleman's relaxation ritual in your neck of the woods.

7 of 19  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th December 2011, 19:22
I really don't think so; I'll have to listen more carefully. Gentlemen here do not use such euphemisms; we're perhaps artificially discreet in some ways, but in others startlingly candid. Cabbages are usually just that. My dog, by the way, is rather a noble beast, but already suffers from terminal flatulence- or, more accurately, WE suffer from his condition; he seems to rather enjoy it.
8 of 19  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th December 2011, 19:37
I believe the British euphemism for his malady is "croquettes".
9 of 19  -   Report This Post

sallyw

26th December 2011, 19:46
What goes "Rat-tat-tat, ow! Rar-rat-tat, ow"?
10 of 19  -   Report This Post