CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lionheart

11th November 2011, 14:28
No theme this time but I have discovered that I like linking clues!

Interactive online:

http://crossword.info/Lionheart/Cryptic_0013

Puzzle (pdf format):

http://db.tt/KxGDqX0q

Solution (WARNING - clicking link will make solution appear on screen!):

http://db.tt/QrSmWdAB

Enjoy :)
1 of 17  -   Report This Post

maisiep

11th November 2011, 16:03
Thanks I'm looking forward to it - still working my way through your list and enjoying them all!
2 of 17  -   Report This Post

lionheart

11th November 2011, 18:14
Thanks Maisie! Hope you enjoy this one too :)
3 of 17  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

12th November 2011, 00:30
Great puzzle, Lionheart. I checked my answers and they were all correct, but I have a few questions. What's the wordplay in 4a? I guessed the word but just don't get it. Ditto with 20a; over the hill is of course obvious but don't see the journalist and topless monthly part. In 23a, KIN is just plucked out of pink in colour, isn't it? Is colour there only so that the phrase makes sense? What's the wordplay in 17d? In 21d what's the significance of unfortunate? And finally, how would you know whether 22d should be eggar or egger?
Loved the link between Hilton and the sixties song. Vroom, vroom.
4 of 17  -   Report This Post

lionheart

12th November 2011, 02:32
THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS!!

Hey aristo, late night reply so I hope I get this right! This puzzle was born out of an earworm....I had 25etc going round my head all day ;)

4a. Hospital (H) + cancer out (-c) from range (cooker = OOKER)

20a. Journalist (ED) on topless monthly ( mag minus its first letter = AG)....I'm never sure whether 'on' means before, after or around! In this case it's after ;)

23a. Exactly!

17d. My favourite! Morecambe's other half appearing after the end :)

21d. Unfortunate = anagram

22d. Hopefully 'pusher' meaning 'encourager' should make it work. Note the ? because I'm not sure the solution is strictly a word in this sense!

Glad you liked it and once again I hope all the clues were fair :)
5 of 17  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

12th November 2011, 03:05
Thank you! I assumed that unfortunate in 21d indicated an anagram, but if you delete a d and an e from derided you already have the word without rearranging (though you do give the d before the e). Egger makes sense for 22d, but the moth is spelled eggar (is that what you were refferring to?), and I was just wondering how to tell which of these to enter.
Shouldn't you have gone beddie-bye by now?
6 of 17  -   Report This Post

lionheart

12th November 2011, 03:19
I'm pretty much nocturnal but bed beckons!
According to Chambers, the moth can be spelled either way. I did look it up to be sure.
re derided...you're right, in my head I just removed the first two letters and made an anagram of the rest.
7 of 17  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

12th November 2011, 03:22
I can't remember the word for a person who needs no sleep. I think there's one in Smallbone Deceased. I'll bet you know.
8 of 17  -   Report This Post

lionheart

12th November 2011, 03:27
Don't know the word and not read the book I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong, the land of nod is my second home, I just like to visit while everyone else is here ;)
9 of 17  -   Report This Post

les40

12th November 2011, 03:32
Margaret Thatcher apparently
10 of 17  -   Report This Post